Unleashing Passion and Creativity – Ford Launches Global Fashion Collaboration Marking Mustang’s 50th
Ford Motor Company celebrates Mustang with its first-ever global collaboration with world-renowned designers to create a one-of-a-kind apparel collection.
Timed to the 50th anniversary of Mustang’s debut, fashion innovators including Anna Sui, Rogan, Paula Cademartori, CO|TE and Pamela Love will celebrate the iconic pony car through a limited-edition line of shirts for the Mustang Unleashed collection.
Sui, a Detroit native, says that Mustang has adapted over the years to cultural changes, but always has remained true to what it represents – freedom and passion. “Fashion is ever evolving, and is a historical representation of what is going on in the world,” she said. “As a designer, I am constantly inspired by everything around me, but it is important for me to remain true to my aesthetic and identity. Mustang has accomplished the same.”
These five designers from around the world will each create three unique Mustang-inspired shirts, resulting in a collection of 15 designs. The collection will be produced by Loomstate, a leader in organic and sustainable apparel, and will be available globally this fall.
“Mustang embraces passion, power, adventure and freedom, and by partnering with top designers known for their expressive personality and works of art, we are blending the parallels between the fashion and automotive industries like never before,” said Susan Lampinen, Ford group chief designer, color and materials. “The Mustang Unleashed collection celebrates the passion and freedom of Mustang, and its inspiration to pop culture during the last 50 years.”
Five visionary designers
As trendsetters, the Mustang Unleashed designers embody the Mustang spirit. They are emotive, expressive and “unleashed” in their own right, living and working with a sense of freedom and individual style. These smart, sophisticated and confident designers are:
· Anna Sui: A Detroit native, Sui and the Ford Mustang have quite a bit in common. Her work effortlessly mixes vintage style with current cultural obsessions, transcending eras to create true “originals”
· Rogan: Founded by Rogan Gregory and Scott Mackinlay-Hahn, Rogan combines soulful minimalism with traditional quality to create strong graphic statements. Through extensive research, Rogan yields innovative fabrications driven by an intellectual utilitarianism that blends modernism and asymmetrical construction
· Paula Cademartori: As a designer of Italian and Brazilian origin, Cademartori moved to Italy in 2005, where she honed her unremitting passion for fashion and for the concept of feminine beauty. She has been acknowledged as an emerging designer by Vogue Italia. 2010 marked Cademartori’s international debut with her first collection of bags created for the spring/summer 2011 fashion season
· CO|TE: Founded by Tomaso Anfossi and Francesco Ferrari, the Italian brand is quickly gaining momentum in the fashion world for freely reinterpreting established design themes from a contemporary point of view
· Pamela Love: A native New Yorker, Love began making jewelry in her Brooklyn apartment in 2006. Since then, she has created a full production facility and design studio in Manhattan’s garment district. Love’s line of unique jewelry pieces is committed to sustainability and localized production
Celebrating an icon
Today, these designers will meet at the Empire State Building, where the all-new Mustang convertible will be on display 86 stories above New York City, to launch the Mustang Unleashed collection and reveal their personal inspirations for the shirts they will create. Showcasing the all-new 2015 Mustang on the observation deck of the architectural landmark replicates the Mustang debut there in 1965.
“As designers, we strive to create beautiful, functional clothing evoking iconic and timeless work,” said Rogan co-founder Mackinlay-Hahn. “Mustang achieves this both in its design and role in popular culture through the years. We’re inspired by the lines and movement of the vehicle – it’s a unique meeting of sophistication and toughness.”
50 years of Mustang
Ford Mustang is the newest member of a very exclusive club – vehicles in continuous production for 50 years. During the last five decades, Mustang has gained worldwide popularity and become an enduring part of pop culture, with more than 9.2 million cars sold and more than 3,300 appearances on film and TV – including Mustang’s latest big-screen appearance as the hero car in “Need for Speed.”
Mustang’s unique combination of style, performance and affordability established an entirely new class of sporty car. Now, the most advanced version yet, the 2015 model features an all-new, sophisticated design and a host of innovative new technologies and connectivity systems.
*Press Release provided for Distribution by Ford PR Firm